Saturday, January 2, 2010

Jan 2nd.....2 days till MONDAY




I love Mondays, I get to call and harass everyone who is supposed to send/do something, usually rushed by me to provide something they normally couldnt in a short timeframe I give them....bless them all for dealing with me....I think about all weekend....3 important calls on Monday.....AND Most imporatnt the Body Shop supply opens so I get to take my Handy Dandy notepad of body plug measurements down and install the carpet and seats on Monday.....yeah went to glue the carpet down and realized....theres holes in my floor I dont have plugs for here....actually I could raid other body pulg kits but when I go to actually put those cars back together Ill be swearing WHO TOOK MY....oh wait....




Got some parts in the mail today ? Had to be today I just ordered them Wed ?!?! Sitting in the mailbox, I suck at checking everyting else gos UPS or FedEx so no need, and we dont use the mailing address here for much. Got some valvetrain stuff in today I was looking forward to....good stuff....



Changed some bracket height and spacing on the oil accumlator today for easier plumbing.
And CLEANED the shop and office, we had out of town visitors today and well it was getting embarrasing around here. So problem solved for a minute anyway. My dad was grumbling about the cigarette butts all over the floor.....well pop I learned from YOU ! But I KNOW theyre out when I crush them, not like putting them in a can or ashtray Ive had more of those catch on fire than anything......what I really need to do is quit smoking again....Febuary.....I will again....made it almost 5 months last year and felt great....dono why I started again.....divorce maybe ?
And had a tea party with my daughter, she got a Tea Party kit complete with Hat and feather thingy and gloves so I dragged out the kids table and we had "Tea" I think well...next time I will use decaffinated tea....apparently you really arent supposed to serve "REAL TEA" loaded with sugar at a little girls "Tea Party" but hey that and the brownies X wife #1 gave to X #2.....yeah they are like best friends...I have no secrets.....none.....But we had fun...when my son saw the brownies and cookies come out he decided to join us.

Grandpa (my Dad) bought my daughter a "Barbie Camper" for Christmas, and after the thread about Ramp trucks on Class racer I kept looking at my sons well played with and still favorite RC car from Grandpa last year (a challenger of course) and thinking those are about the same scale.....hmmm...when she tires of the barbie camper was can bring it to the shop for a little surgery and paint...and make a ramp hauler out of it for his RC car...:) But I dont think she will.....she has played all day with it every day.....what a hit Grandpa !

Then back to the shop after tucking the little ones in, its been nice to be a little slow at the shop for the last couple days, we are waiting on "Final Items" and well.....Im just puttering until they get here.

I need to make the alternator bracket tommorow.....but after that DriveShaft fitting and checking and headers and cam....then shes off to testing.......yep that close...if I had the stuff 2 days in a pinch and she could be ready....4 taking my time and double checking my aviation style checklists...which reminds me I need 3 more clipboards for the track....checklists, checked by other people.....with highlights of items to keep a close eye on and no "Oh shit I forgots" Things will suprise us yes, but not STUPID things....I dont like that and dont accept it....The old man wont stand for it either.


Testing will be a tight schedule with the Old Mans trips to far parts of the Carribean....Im glad he can go he needs a break from me and the shop :) Hell have a blast and hes got good company so hopefully it will "recharge" him, Ive decided short of the car catching on fire in testing....and on second thought especially if the car catches fire in testing Im going to leave him to the poker tables and sun....he needs some sun......I dont want people in california putting their sunglasses on if hes wearing shorts :) Hes fair skin though and burns pretty easy....hopefully hell get a good tan for the West coast and Southlands....


My hope is we Qualify at Pomona....thats step 1, our driver is capable no doubts there....but if we dont well that ok we will at some point and you sometimes have to fail to succeed.....My biggest single fear is not being agressive enough with the testing, and not wringing the car out properly. OR Being too agressive in testing and breaking something major as there isnt time for most major items to be replaced before Pomona....so its got to be a fine line....we will succeed, at least in our minds by TRYING if for no other reason were to stupid to know were not supposed to succeed..... and we are nothing if not perseverant....

Of ALL my bike accidents since about 17......litterally every single one it can be traced DIRECTLY to mechanical failure...A major failure of one sort or another , that makes it MY fault....simple...either for not being aware, riding when I knew something was marginal, or for failure to anticipate the potential failure....the bike, and a car is just metal. Metals fatigue, the fail, they do what metals do they expand when hot, the contract when cold.....if it isnt right its my fault....on the mechanical side...

My all time hero from Greek Mythology is Sisyphus...the Greek King of Corinth who tricked Hades and was dammed to an eternity of rolling a rock up a hill only to have it roll down and try it again.....I guess I relate all to well....for me there is honor and pride in the uphill....

Just got off the phone with our driver.....if he can listen to me ramble on hes a good fit :) But hell of a nice guy who knows his stuff, good one of us does when it comes to administrative and NHRA issues...

Till tommorow....always make sure you know where the fire extinguisher is.......


No comments:

Post a Comment