Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dec 30th...stuff....cuts and screw ups

Ok, today I failed "electrical theory" with a big fat F......I wont say on what but duh.....no issues...but its a hiccup , the first REAL screw up of the build, I assumed somthing and got a note from one of the engineers on the ecu.....uhhhh Chris....Ive been thinking about your plan and.....yeah well....no biggie, just an annoyance.

Something else I found out today that will probably get me a 1 way ticket to the "hoo hoo" house. When using a razor knife and you cut yourself accidently, use it to your advantage, if the bleeding is controllable, use the blood to mark your further cuts instead of taking time to go bandage it, its like a built in "Sharpie" depending on the knuckle you did it to it works out quite advantageous......No I really did cut myself but no I really didnt use it like that but the fact that what I was working on had it all over it in smudges made me think while I used my "shop first aid" a paper towel and duct tape. I was laughing to myself after the fact.....yeah my mind wanders when I have noone to kibitz with.

David, my father, today got all the wiring sorted out, he then a Drak Pak "How to" for the wiring of the connectors, which wires and which plugs to strip from the harness and how to wire the accesory stuff, lights etc. Maybe best describe by his opening in the document (sorry dad for the "Sneak Preview") I just couldnt resist, here is what he wrote

"This advice is not related to the engine compartment, and engine electrical system wiring. Fortunately, I still had some money and was smart enough to leave that to our ECU expert.
But for the rest of the wiring, my advice is to get someone else to do it for you… Unless you are really experienced, and used to doing wiring. Or if you have a lot of patience, and high threshold for pain. Or, if you simply don’t have the budget for it, this job will teach you patience, and provide plenty of pain of one kind or another. "

I wonder who I got my writing style from ?

Lots more "Secret Squirrel" stuff today.

I had 2 different DP owners call today, 1 I had called and we swapped info, the other I had yet to talk to. I told him I have been told "You are giving too much away" My opinion as expressed earlier is all the previous PLUS.....Im legal so it dosent matter AND All the DP owners/builders are going to do what they want anyway....they all have what they think is their seceret recipe.....Im no different, and that stuff is still quiet. But advice on things and vendors that make things like Mr M's line on the RobMC starter alone was gold.....monster unit, never used one, will probably never use anything else. And so on.

I also ordered something I needed they make, kinda like shopping local....shopping with DP guys....his price even retail is good on a good unit that does what I need, and you do too.....
Sharadon Performance has rocker collars, these motors dont even ship with the clips (which are useless anyway) so......If you need em give em a call, I think they are also going to run shafts and hold downs...might be something else....they know their Hemis as well....in the few minutes I talked with a couple guys there I had no doubt about it, they too have concentrated on the 3rd gen stuff for a while too....they scare me the most if we were going to be competing the same circuit. There are guys with more money, Couglin, etc....but these guys already know what makes a 3rd gen tick, and they know the potential.....there is another fellow in Minnesota that does as well....what IS IT About the Nortlands ?!?! They all have had Significant experience PRIOR to actually getting their DP cars. Doug Duell is another that has "hard earned" experience as well in as much as he has run and changed his car up......not saying others dont, I just dont know about them and havent talked to them.

There is weight in them there hills......this applies to ALL class racers not just the DP cars....I was going to keep it quiet but, 80% of anyone isnt going to do it anyway....its one of those things, for the other 20% maybe this is a direction to look into that will lead you in the direction you take.

I thought I would pass this along, its one of those "cool" things I came across for saving weight today in my travels, and quite on accident.

I took some carpet to the upholstery shop today to have it edged while lurking around I said HEY WHATS THIS ?!?! Its called "Ever Dri" its a non foam stuff water will run right through, its not foam...its more like an odd spiderwebby stuff under a magnifying glass.

It weighs about half or less than LIGHT foam and a good 2/3 lighter than the high density 100k mile urethane closed cell stuff they use now (or old rubber based) Its stronger and firmer than I ever expected, a 2 inch piece has more "feel" than 4 inch foam and dropping your rear on a piece you can tell....yes I did I put it on the floor and dropped hard onto it.

The other wayyyyy cool thing is that its super super strong, I could sew 5 loops on each side 1 inch from the edge at a 20 inch span say across a lawn chair and sit on it without it ripping out the edges.....and it dosent strech, so it could easily replace both the springs and wires in many cases as well as being quite firm and comfy.

It cuts easier than any foam youve cut for upholstery and is easy to cut into round and compound shapes, it cuts almost like floral foam.

I obviously spent way too much time "analyzing" it but it was new to me and cool stuff, I wanted to understand how / why it works.Whereas foam works on a "compression" principal, this appears to work on a "stretch" principal, the little threads of semi rigid elasomeric stuff its made out of when you sit on it pull on each other really creating a "support" across the load, some collapse but for every one that collapses 3 of 4 "pull" across the spread.

To the touch (fingertip feel) its coarse, the stuff feels like it is Rigid and something best used in crafts, drop your butt on it .... works great. And it has near instant return unlike foams. I would LOVE to see what a bench with this stuff would drop in weight and on top of it, its really a firmer feel, it gets tighter as it collapsed like foam but quicker.

The price sucks but what light dosent, its about 200 for an 24x82 slab. But its dosent pick up moisture either like foam. (if youre bored one day take a big piece of closed cell foam and weigh it in the winter or on a dry day, then when the humidity has been about 90% for a couple days weigh it again....is heavier.....someone once made a comment I have too much time on my hands...now you really know) This stuff wouldnt do that.

Oh and its USCG approved for fire and such....Its used on Boat cushions, hence the boat Upholstery shop I have stuff done at had some he had just redone his own boat cushions with, apparenly he said it "wears" and dosent break down awesome.....

NOTHING in the rules has a Foam Density spec.....nor are the older stockers even able to run the original as it broke down long ago.....enjoy................Use 2 people to tear down your seats and save your knuckes and sanity.

Cheers....

Another installment tommorow...I have no social life hence I will be working New Years Eve....probably best to keep me out of trouble anyway, its to cold out to wake up half naked (no shirt in sight) with my face in a groundhog hole........but my boots were still ON ! :) So a little tamer as I get older....

No comments:

Post a Comment