Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dec 28th.....cutting it close

Well, were cutting it close for testing in the next 2 weeks, had a couple things ship out "Red Label" .... Im gonna need a bottle of "Red Label" when this is all said and done....Cam is on its way to.....ahhhhh....almost said :) It needs to go off for base circle measurement and "line" up so its a drop in and run, I dont trust my measurments on a cam, been there screwed it up....

But the damm holidays .... people arent working on them...go figure. BAH !

Finish carpet "rough" this morning, pull motor , organize shop, dad worked on the wiring. I did about 3 hours of "Office work" but it had to be done....

Engine tear down today, wow is it nice to have someone who a) knows the engine as well as I do and b)knows what to do and how to do it, Dad the cars owner....we tore through it today like a hot knife through butter.....some interesting things I didnt expect to see inside, other than the "rock" in the oil pan bottom....actually I dont know what it is I have to dig out the microscope, its small 1/16 non magnetic, hard....a rock ? its not round its odd shaped so....a rock ?!?!?!?! Well non issue...since its out...I guess I dont know what I expected to see....but the installed height base shims on the valves are nice....and some other things I liked, nothing I cringed at, lots of room for improvments but a good starting point. I havent measured the pistons yet.....I will after I post the blog.....Its not like its the first 3rd gen hemi either he or I has pulled down......zip , crunch zap...I think 20 minutes and it was all bagged, tagged and set aside to be checked and put back together. The old man was "ON" Today ... in every way.....he kept zinging me with this comments and that one, when he gets me to think and laugh at the same time....but bam bam bam one after another. Too funny.....

Just before he left he told me "If youre going to paint this box, at least you should paint it evenly" Thanks dad.....its my wrinkle finish box I spray stuff on....thanks pop...Now...after he left 5 minutes later he came back in the door and told me "You left your phone over there, I was going to call you but...." I do that alot leave my phone here there and everywhere although I only killed 2 this year, 1 in a bucket of degreaser from my shirtpocket and another sitting on a rock in the pits at Dragway 42.

Base carpet is in , needs trimmed and I ran short 1 friggin small piece for the passenger side rear....oh well....itll be here quick and there is wiring to run there so no biggie, tonight Ill finish the motor checks and trim the carpet.

So, its all good, we have the hoist "set" to the DP car, as in marked for boom, and leg run in, so no , "is this good ?" nope just push it into place line up the marks and its perfect.

Sooooo...not much odd today just a good nice steady grind and all progress....If I had 10 days like this in a row I could build anything. Lets hope for a good run.

I need to stay focused......hard for me, and the old man both, but mostly me, he usually reigns me back in.....I spent some time over in the other wing of our shop today looking at our other Hemi's on stands and "thinking" since this one was apart, and 1 of those is together, specifically in regards to the alternator bracket, and the 72 Challenger my dad gave me I promtly tore down is in Hibernation over there, it really just needs repainted(I dont like the color even though the paint is fresh...its just an ugly purple, not Plum Crazy.) and put back together everything and I mean EVERYTHING is new in boxes for it, Im just dying for some reason to build the twin Turbo 5.7 hemi with the Viper 6 speed and put it in the "Sad Mouth"....itll be the tranny the DP Shipped with....and the wheels started turning...I need to stay away from there until this car is done through Gainesville...then I can look at playing with my "tinkertoys".....

No comments:

Post a Comment