Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dec 22nd MW NIPPLE PROTECTORS !!! FOR SALE !!!











Ok so a long but productive day here at NHR, brackets for everything except alternator are done and there was bad news about a part we had ordered for the car, the big tin eyeball that is going to be looking out the harness hole in the firewall....theyre out of stock.......Oh well so it looks like its going to have to be the giant glow in the dark eyeball from the ZOLAR game circa 1972...
I have been checking runout today on everything, I had a concern and was told it was a non-issue, I would have checked anyway. Mike at MPR put Mark Willams center caps on our front wheels, a gift. Well checking runout I had a funny feeling, so I weighed them, 6.8 ounces for the pair.....I looked at the old man and said how attached are you to these ? And they do look good....he said to hell with em when he saw what the weighed. Function over form every time here at NHR.
BUT I could have used them later, after nearly ripping my nipple off playing human tranny jack, its a ligthend 904 so its.....light, an easy bench press and since were using guide studs (If you have a KB Hemi the studs are the same and work real nice, nice part is there are 12 on the KB hemi :) so you can do 3 DP motors with 4 on each....if youre not using the KB that is I dont reccomend running 4 light ....lol....but its sure been done. ) I can put it in place and throw the nuts on 1 man from underneath. but, I got in a pinch when pulling it back out to fit some other things, it was just thrown in to measure the Drive Shaft, and I caught my nipple on it .....owwwwww........I should have used the MW caps for something usefull protecting my body parts.
Dad got more done by far today than I did, mine was a lot of sitting and checking things with a dial and calipers....but all looks good, I dont like the runout on the tires but well.....Ill put 100+ psi in them and put em in the sun in california, that always helps......yeah really.....works good on Bias , at least in my experience...expecially when they have been sitting for a while. Old motorcycle trick. And if that dosent work I guess Ill call Irv Johns up and ask him to get me a set of Hoosiers......Goodyear is local, my Mom retired from there but if their tires dont cut it anymore so much for being sentimental.....Im NOT brand loyal....I use whats BEST that does what it needs to pros and cons weighing, there are brands I gravitate to because of GOOD past experience and Im leary to try new in a pinch but may the best product win....

Tommorow the Old Man, David, my dad.... wants me to pull and go through the motor, so I guess Ill do that before the plumbing, Christmas Im going to take a few hours off and go to a Movie...but even that is tenuous with our schedule.....I wouldnt trade this for the world....Id just put a bed down here if there a)wasnt so much funky dust even NASA couldnt identify b)there was a shower.....oh well next year (2011) the shop will be at home after its built I am thinking. Im dying to get in the motor so.....some oiling system work is in order so says the tech bulletin and experience. Make the mods and put er back together after REALLY checking the pistons myself.....then Ive got noone to blame but me when the motor goes to the south pole, not Mopar, not Stanton, not the Grinch, Ill be the last one in the motor and success or fail its mine. Thats the way we like it, I would never, and I mean EVER run a motor I hadnt gone though myself, never ever ever.......not on a race vehicle....never.....not me no way....not the old man without having me go through it....no way....then weve both a)only got me to blame b)are 110% sure on everthing as well as knowing a baseline with our own eyes and measurments for everything, what was this journal before ? Hold on lemme look...not....uhhhhh....I dont know maybe someone who built the motor knows "Hey mr motor guy, what was"....."IT WAS PERFECT" he says , have you ever hear a well, It was x and it was marginal but I had to do xy and z that weekend so I just put it back together instead of returning a defective part ? Well.....neiter have we. Not that this motor comes like that quite to the contrary, but its PEACE of MIND, and one less distraction not being 110% sure.
I got a call from a DP owner today, it was a great call, he is a pleasure to talk to and very knowledgable on the New Hemis as well....very. And he said "Chris you and your dad are the best" I was taken aback, I havent heard that before....he followed some of our advice, some he had hit the same conclusion on of course having one and doing much work himself. But good call.....a nice confederation of DP owners is starting to form and Im just happy to be part of it. But the advice and what we found helped him, that wasnt the single purpose of this blog, it was for OUR records, but it was also meant to help, especially guys like Jerry and Larry who are doing it all themselves, (2 different owners friends....) That made my dad and me smile.

We pulled some sneaky items today...racing items.....curveballs for Pomona and a suprise, if we can keep the suspense maybe we can get some more people interested and talking......"There is no such thing as bad ink" as the old man says........too sneaky but itll be fun. Pomona is a lock, papers were signed and I's dotted and T's crossed with our driver.....shhhhhhh.....nope were not saying. World Champion should be enough, Its Stock Eliminator, come on...its not like he can go out and just win win win, but he CAN drive and he CAN win, hopefully for us we can put him the right package together and well be a REAL Threat...a looonnnnng set of discussions about strategy and how were going to handle HP on the car, as well as future moves into the other classes with the second Challenger.....yep its coming.....Probably, Tenativley Juneish from what it looks like it will be tracking, to span the classes as it were........some DP guys arent going to like it......but....we wont get too stupid, and so far 3 other DP owners like it and are "on board" with our idea. Ive got to finsh a letter and get it out to a couple more I have met, M*** and Al so they are aware (Hes not saying anymore so henceforth here he shall be know as M) Hey M give me a call when you get a chance.
Back to the accumulator and some other fun. at 12:45.....this is New Hemi Racing signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment