Friday, November 25, 2011

Innovations.....

Just a quick thought about innovations:

I have, on a couple of ocassions, said that Drag Pak #24 has more innovations than any other Drag Pak car. And I stand by that statement. But I thought it only fair to expalin what I mean.

Innovations are ways of doing something, that are different from the way others do them. And they provide some kind of convenience, performance, or appearance advantage. Or, at least that is my definition of it.

What motivates innovation? Innovation is often the answer to a gnawing problem, or it is simply something that nobody else has yet seen the need to do.

So, some of our innovations are the result of addressing problems, and some are simply a better way to do something, which we think gives us some kind of advantage.

Better, is only "better" if there is some kind of an advantage provided by it. Doing something just to be different, while it might stroke your ego, is no better if it doenst present an advantage.

After my last posting, I opened a spreadsheet and started tabulating (counting) the number of things that we did, either before anyone else, in spite of everyone else, or that others have not yet done.
My list of innovations totals around 40 individual items.

A few of these items are the result of decisions that we made to save weight, or because we couldn't get something within our timeframe, so we went a different direction. And some others have now made some of those same decisions, so they are no longer unique to us. But that doesn't mean that they still aren't innovations by us. And there are some items where our decisions solved a problem. And then, there are the Secret Squirrel innovations. And it seems that we have at least 10 of those.

Once I reorganize the innovation list,  I will also redact the Secret Squirrel entries, and then publish the entire list here.

God Bless and Race Safely
David

No comments:

Post a Comment